A woman’s breasts will change throughout her lifetime. These changes are influenced by a wide range of factors, including aging, pregnancy and childbirth, and weight gain or weight loss. Women may notice over time that their breasts are not as full and perky as they once were or that they have begun to sag. Perhaps asymmetries have become more noticeable, or they are simply not happy with the way their breasts look anymore. All of these factors can make you question whether breast augmentation and breast lift are right for you.
What Causes Breasts to Sag?
One of the most common causes of sagging breasts, or breast ptosis, is aging. As you get older, your skin loses some of its elasticity. This, combined with the pull of gravity, can cause breasts to begin hanging lower. In addition, there is no muscle tissue in your breasts, only ligaments. Over time, the ligaments stretch, and breasts can sag and lose their perkiness.
Besides aging and gravity, other factors that may contribute to breast sagging include:
- Number of pregnancies: hormonal changes and weight fluctuation during and after pregnancy can contribute to sagging.
- Significant changes in weight: the breasts may become larger with weight gain, but then following major weight loss, the breasts become smaller and loose skin remains.
- Smoking: smoking may speed up the breakdown of elastin, causing the skin to lose its tightness and breasts to sag.
Benefits of Breast Augmentation
As breasts sag, they may appear more deflated, and breast augmentation can make them larger and fuller. Increased volume can help reduce the appearance of sagging and improve the shape of your breasts. Your doctor can assist you in deciding what type of implant – silicone or saline – and what size fits your body type and goals. Breast augmentation not only enhances the physical look of your breasts, but it can boost your self-confidence and self-esteem as well.
Benefits of Breast Lift
When faced with sagging breasts, many women turn to a breast lift or mastopexy. A breast lift can remove excess skin, tighten and reshape remaining skin, and elevate nipple position. You may notice that over time your nipple has appeared to drop lower and lower on your breast. With a breast lift, it can be moved into a higher position creating a more natural, youthful appearance. In addition, raising the breasts can also reduce irritation from the skin underneath the breasts rubbing or from moisture getting trapped.
Benefits of Combining Breast Augmentation and Breast Lift
Another piece of good news about breast augmentation and breast lift is that they can be combined into a single surgery. This means that you can benefit from the results of both without having to undergo multiple procedures. Plus, it can shorten your recovery time because everything is being done at once.
With breast augmentation and a breast lift, you can:
- Achieve the breast size you desire. Your doctor will work with you to find the right size for your body shape and frame, as well as your personal preference. By having a breast lift at the same time, you may actually find that a smaller implant works better because your breasts will be higher and firmer than before, requiring less additional volume.
- Tighten up loose skin. During surgery, your doctor will remove any excess skin that contributed to sagging while creating an attractive breast shape with a higher positioned nipple and areola.
Love the Way Your Breasts Look
Women do not have to be frustrated, embarrassed, or disappointed in how their breasts look, or how they have changed. Through breast augmentation and breast lift, you can feel more confident and self-assured. You can once again have more youthful-looking breasts and a gorgeous silhouette.
If you are considering breast augmentation, a breast lift, or both, and want to learn more about your options and what is right for your body, contact your local doctor. If you live in the Houston area, contact the doctors at Yarish Plastic Surgery. We will work with you each step of the way in our convenient Houston and Lake Jackson offices. Take back control and love the way your breasts look once again.