What is an Arm Lift?
Arm lift surgery, commonly known as brachioplasty, is a cosmetic surgical procedure that removes excess skin and fat on the underside of the upper arm. A drooping, sagging appearance might develop through weight loss or gain, the normal process of getting older, and of course, from simple heredity.
This area of the body is difficult to improve with exercise. For men and women, having an arm lift is the most effective way to get rid of hanging skin and to improve the appearance of the upper arm.
Reasons to Consider Brachioplasty, Houston
Adults are good candidates for an arm lift procedure, especially those with significant drooping skin on their arms, who are not significantly overweight and expect to remain at stable weight. Having good general health is also important, such as being a non-smoker and not having any underlying medical conditions that can hinder recovery.
We also recommend patients have a robust understanding of the procedure and their expectations, which our medical staff will discuss during the consultation process. It is important to remember; your surgeon cannot predict what your scars may look like, nor how they might heal.
You might consider an arm lift procedure if:
- If your weight is normal, but you can see your arm shape is marred by underarm laxity.
- You have lost a significant amount of weight and are left with excess upper-arm skin and fat that resemble bat wings.
- If you are willing to accept a scar in exchange for contoured arms.
The Process of Arm Lift Brachioplasty, Houston
Brachioplasty lift will reduce excess hanging skin that drops and sags from the upper arm. It also removes and smooths out stubborn, localized fat pockets in the area. Underlying supportive tissues are tightened and evened out to redefine and shape the upper arm.
Brachioplasty can take several forms, and different plastic surgery techniques are utilized, depending on the amount and location of excess skin and fat and the natural contour of the arm.
The procedure length varies from patient to patient, depending on the extent of the skin and fat removed, but it is a complete outpatient procedure that can be performed at our Houston or Lake Jackson practices.
Below is what you can expect in general:
- Markings are made on the elbows, arms, and armpits. The location, length, and direction of these marks will be dependent on the type of brachioplasty.
- You will receive either intravenous sedation or general anesthesia.
- Your surgeon will make necessary incisions to remove excess skin and fat. The incisions may be completely concealed within the armpits or extended down the inside of the arms.
- Liposuction may be used to remove excess fat.
- After incisions have been made, your surgeon will remove the extra skin and fat and bring the incisions together to provide a firmer and smoother arm contour.
- The skin is then smoothed over the new contour of your arm.
- Your surgeon will carefully close the incisions to minimize scarring. Sutures may be placed beneath the skin, where they gradually absorb into the body.
- A sterile dressing and compression garments will be applied, and drains may be placed where needed.
What to Expect After Brachioplasty, Houston, TX
Recovery for arm lift patients includes activity restriction for a few weeks, so the underarm can fully heal. Desk work can be returned to more quickly than a return to work that requires heavy lifting. Abiding by the restrictions will give the best possible surgical results and healing. Swelling and bruising are relatively common after plastic surgery. It is manageable through post-op treatment and should improve over 2-3 weeks.
In the first few weeks post-op:
- Gently elevate your arms on pillows to help with swelling.
- Avoid lifting your arms above shoulder level for three to four weeks.
- Avoid physical and athletic activities with your arms for four to eight weeks after surgery, as this might stretch incisions.
- Take pain medication as prescribed and use topical or oral antibiotics as directed by your health care professional to prevent infections.
The Treatment Plan
At Yarish Plastic Surgery, our board-certified plastic surgeons believe that skin and body rejuvenation is an evolutionary process that does not begin and solely end with the plastic surgery itself. While we do know that surgery is the most dramatic and gratifying part of the rejuvenation process, our doctors can enhance and even maximize surgery results with our “comprehensive rejuvenation concept.” This is essentially a treatment plan specifically designed for each procedure to prepare the skin and body for surgery and to aid the healing process afterward.
We recognize that many Houston and Lake Jackson residents do not have the time or inclination to take advantage of the complete program, and we want to assure you that your best surgical results can be attained anywhere.
However, if you are in a position to benefit from the “comprehensive rejuvenation concept,” you will find the entire experience more relaxing. You will have the knowledge that you have treated yourself to the unique and gratifying experience that plastic surgery can offer.
To make this experience convenient and affordable, we have created a combination of ultimate experience packages specifically tailored to enhance each procedure. Our doctors strongly recommend you take advantage of our special offering. The program outlined for you will be instituted pre-operatively and continued post-op until your healing is complete.
Contact Yarish Plastic Surgery today to schedule a consultation with the best brachioplasty surgeon in Houston or a member of our medical team at any of our locations in Lake Jackson to learn how arm lift surgery can improve your quality of life. We look forward to hearing from you and helping you achieve your aesthetic goals!