For patients who are thinking about breast augmentation in Houston, choosing the right type of implant is crucial to getting great results. Luckily, Dr. Yarish and Dr. Bartlett can assist patients with this decision before the procedure. To get a better idea of what they might like, patients are encouraged to learn more about the various types of implants below.
Saline vs Silicone
There are two main kinds of breast implants that women in the Houston area can choose from — saline and silicone.
- Saline implants contain sterile saltwater and are approved by the FDA for women 18 or older.
- Silicone implants contain silicone gel and are approved by the FDA for women 22 or older.
Both saline and silicone have their pros and cons. Deciphering these pros and cons can help patients determine which type might be best for them.
Pros of Saline
- In the case of leaks, the saline will be absorbed by the body without any issues.
- Saline implants provide a firm feel and uniform shape.
- Because saline implants are filled as they are placed, this requires a smaller incision (which reduces scarring and improves recovery times).
Pros of Silicone
- Silicone feels more like natural breast tissue.
- Silicone will not collapse and deflate if there is a leak (and the leak risk is lesser than saline).
- Silicone is great for women who have naturally small breasts.
Cons of Saline
- In the case of leaks, the saline implant will quickly deflate, leading to a change in breast size.
- Saline has a slightly firmer feel.
- There is a higher risk of leaking with saline.
Cons of Silicone
- Because silicone implants don’t collapse, it may take years before a patient realizes they have a leak.
- Implants can rotate and cause changes to the breast appearance.
- Silicone implants are inserted pre-filled, meaning they require a larger incision.
Once a Houston patient decides on saline or silicone implants, they’ll also need to decide on what shape implant they’d like. The shape of the implant determines how the final result will look.
Many patients like a gummy bear or teardrop-shaped implant. This kind of implant has slightly more volume at the bottom and is tapered at the top. This creates a more natural appearance, as it mimics the shape of a real breast. The problem with these is that if they rotate out of position, it will be very obvious.
Of course, for women who want to see larger breasts and don’t want to worry about them rotating, round implants are a good choice. These are a uniform shape to give the entire breast a boost in size. However, they can sometimes look less natural than teardrop implants.
Get Help Choosing Implants for Breast Augmentation in Houston
Deciding on the type of breast implant that’s right for your breast augmentation isn’t something you should do on your own. Dr. Yarish and Dr. Bartlett have years of experience helping women achieve the breasts they desire.
Schedule your initial consultation to find out which implants are right for you by calling our Houston office at 713-467-0146 today.